Thursday, February 12, 2009

The One Where East Meets West...

It seems as if most married couples we know these days are either having babies or getting pregnant. I can’t count the number of times people have asked when me and Amanda are going to have little ones running around. There’s no specific time frame, but we know it’s not in the immediate future, unless God has something else planned for us. We realize you can’t ever totally plan for a child to come from a financial standpoint, but goodness, we’ve only been married a year and few months…so we’re really trying to enjoy our marriage without the responsibility of a child or children. Not that having that responsibility won’t come with its own set of rewards, but we certainly are enjoying our state of marriage at this point. We’re trying hard to cement a solid future for not only ourselves but the little Henrys- and Henriettas-to-be. Not that we've picked names or anything, but those are only used as a mock setup type situation. Because our kid won't be from, "How you say...France." Instead I'll beg and plea for something like "Wang Chung Fuey" for a boy and "Fuey Chung Wang" for a girl. Or who knows, we may enact the ancient Chinese tradition of throwing a wok across a room, and naming the kid whatever sounds come from the wok. So yes, there is that chance of little Henry or Henrietta being aptly named, "Ching-Chong-Kang-Kung-Qwan-Tang-Wong-Wang-Ting......Ting...Ting..Ting. Wuo...Wuo...Wuo...wuo.wuo.wuo.wuo.wuo.wuo." I'm just saying, be ready.

Amanda’s dream is to be a stay-at-home mom. That’s probably a common dream for a lot of current and future mothers. Time will certainly tell as to how things will pan out for us, but in the meantime, we’ll keep working not only to pay the bills, but to save, save, save. I had this vision of getting all deep and sharing my thoughts on what it means to have children, but I fear that since we're still a little ways out from that actually happening that I would wait and let emotions and true feelings culminate at the proper time. Instead of boring you with those details, I have something MUCH better than that to offer. It's something that will not only knock your socks off but will stimulate you more than any stimulus plan will from D.C. You see, I have a wonderful treat for you fine folks paying a visit here at Fixedfront Valley. Amanda and I recently had the wonderful opportunity to visit the Chinese Christian Church again (ala me and Howard back in June of '06), and I asked her to share a little bit about her experience there. I think it ties in with what I rambled about in my first paragraph. So enjoy and be prepared to be enlightened by my lovely wife…

~KH


On January 25, Henry and I went to the Chinese Christian Church in Tallahassee. Henry didn’t plan on playing the drums and I didn’t plan on teaching Sunday School, which is a rare occasion. Henry suggested we take the opportunity to visit the Chinese church. We didn’t go there with the intention of finding a new church. We wanted to experience some of the Chinese culture immersed in faith. The service started with praises and hymns to God. The words to the hymns were projected on the wall in Chinese and English. I couldn’t help but refrain from singing at times so I could listen to both languages being sung. As Henry pointed out, the service revealed how God can break down language barriers.

After we praised God with a few hymns, a group of children came up to sing Amazing Grace. One child played along with the violin and one played along with the piano. They sang in Chinese and English. At that moment, I lost it and the tears started to flow. I didn’t want to get a tissue because I didn’t want to miss anything. Henry had no idea why I lost it. After the song, there was a prayer. Henry told me we are praying now. He noticed my eyes weren’t closed. I knew we were praying, but I couldn’t close my eyes since that would only push out more tears. After the prayer, I told Henry I was going to the bathroom. I need to compose myself. Thankfully I was able to do that and return to the service. As the sermon was preached, the minister asked us to turn to several verses in the Bible. There was an interpreter so anyone who only knew English or only knew Chinese could understand. The long verses were read only in Chinese to save time. The sound of the pages turning was refreshing to me. I had to pay close attention and find verses quickly.

After the sermon, there was a lunch prepared for $2.00 a person. I don’t know anywhere that you can get a Chinese meal for $2.00. We were invited to attend by a nice Chinese lady. I know from Henry’s family that Chinese people will not stop offering you food until you take it. Sure enough, before we were in line, our new Chinese friend gave us a dessert to try first. Later, we had a chance to ask questions about the church. I was impressed with the egg rolls and said I would like to learn how to make them. I was informed that they are easy to make. Trust me, I have tried before and it doesn’t come naturally to this white girl born in Georgia.

January 19th, my granny passed away from cancer. She lived a long life as a faithful Christian. We will miss her and we are comforted by the fact that she is with Christ. My dad is adopted, and he has always known that. In his adult life he has developed a deep desire to find his biological mom. Sadly, my dad hasn’t had this opportunity. My Granny told my mom at one point that my dad would know who his biological mom was after she died. You better believe all of us were looking for the answer to that long awaited question as we searched my Granny’s house this week. We found a puzzle with handwriting on it. After Henry quietly put it together, we were disappointed that it didn’t hold the answer we were looking for. We didn’t find an answer and we probably never will. It will probably always be a hole in my dad’s life. I wish so badly that I could fix it. We did find letters that we had sent her that she saved. I found a graduation invitation that she saved as well. This just reminded us how much she loved us.

As weird as it sounds there is a hole in my life. I want desperately to connect with Henry’s family as much as he has mine. Seeing him so graciously help my family through the loss of my Granny just reminded me of that. Distance and language makes that very difficult. One day, if God blesses us with children, I want them to know Henry’s culture and family. I want them to be able to sing and speak in Chinese. I don’t want them to feel like they are missing out on their culture. Being at the Chinese Christian Church gave me hope that I will have the opportunity to learn more about the Chinese culture and feel closer to Henry’s family. Don’t think I have ever doubted that Henry’s family loves and accepts me. I just want to know them better. I am not sure how, but I believe the opportunity will present itself. In a way, I feel closer to them just by visiting the Chinese Christian Church. Our visit there will not be soon forgotten.

New in Town (viewed on 1/31): 7 1/2 Turkey Legs

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dear Amanda you forgot to tell your dad he needed a tissue when I read your addition to Henry's blog. I think Henry is turning you into a writer. Love Dad

Anonymous said...

Henry & Amanda--

Great post!

(Henry, nice Rosie O'Donnell reference there.)

Mary and I know the feeling of having people quiz you about kids. After 6 years, we know. When a couple announces that they are pregnant, we rejoice with them, but we also know the questions are coming. Take your time! You are young, and you are right to enjoy the first months of your honeymoon. When the time is right (and He knows when the time is right), we will rejoice with you too, even if we know it will bring the questions again.

Anonymous said...

Henry (& Amanda)…

With each post I read I am impressed at your growth as a follower of Christ, indeed as the man you are becoming. Glad I had a part for a season in getting to know you and watch some of the formative years. That is the key, isn’t it, not to dwell on where you need to be but where you started and how far you’ve come.

The Chinese Christian Church remains a moment in time I will always look upon as a revelation (an epiphany if I’m so bold). I agree, Amanda. The joy of worshipping with those I barley or didn’t know, not knowing the language, and only slightly brushing against the culture was an eye-opener. The barriers were all down – language, culture, denomination, bias – simply because we had a common love for our Lord Jesus Christ.

And you are right…no need to worry about when to have kids. Jan and I were married 7 years before Dustin was born, and we value how our relationship grew during that time alone together. I think we’ll draw upon those years when he and Brit leave us for good to live out their lives. And Amanda is spot on (sorry, Simon), that the kids do need to know the culture of Hank and his family.

Don’t see you much anymore, but know you both are in our prayers.

In His Grace,

Hos

>Sorry for the long post.

K. H. Kan said...

Such nice comments from even nicer folks...