Friday, March 21, 2008

The One With Wingfeathers...

Janner Igiby lay trembling in his bed with his eyes shut tight, listening to the dreadful sound of the Black Carriage rattling along in the moonlight...

About two weeks ago, I embarked on a journey that took me out of my cyclical routine. For the ones that know me well, you know that reading is pretty much the last thing that I like to do. I think in this world you have people that just love to read, people that read on occasion, and then there's the type like me. As you know from my previous entry, I was given the honor of posting a review of Andrew Peterson's (AP) first book in The Wingfeather Saga - On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness.

I have to admit that starting a book is the hardest part for me. The biggest reason I chose to read this book was because of AP's uncanny ability to lure his listeners to the story that he sets out to tell - in his music or journal entries. To say that I've been brought to tears and deeply moved on multiple occasions is a poor way to portray the profound ways that I've been moved by his artistry. I was very curious to see if his crossover to writing a book could possibly to do the same. He did so in an overwhelming way. His articulation of words and balancing it with the right amount of humor and suspense can lull you into the depths of your childlike imagination. I would often lose myself conjuring up all these images in my head as each word was read. The details that Andrew give from one sentence to another all but forces you to imagine that you're right there in the midst of the heroes, villains, and magical landscapes.

I can't say enough great things about this book. I can't believe that I read the book in the time that I did - it normally would take me months to do so. After the first day, I found myself diving into the wonderful world of Skree every chance I could. I was so saddened when I read the last word in this book because I knew that I'd have to wait until his next release. The emotional tug of war that I felt throughout the story made me realize that AP's effort in connecting the reader to the characters and their journeys was perfectly-executed. The publisher gives a great summary of the book and its characters:

In the once-quiet land of Skree, Janner Igiby, little brother Tink, and crippled sister Leeli stumble upon lost jewels of the mysterious King of the Shining Isle Anniera. But Gnag the Nameless seeks the treasure for purely evil ends, so our brave trio, accompanied by their trusty dog Nugget and ex-pirate grandfather, must escape his minion Fangs.Singer-songwriter Andrew Peterson spins a page-turning tale of redemption peppered with songs, poems, and hilarious asides that follow the Igibys through a fantastical world of wonders, complete with...
  • memorable characters like Brimney Stupe, Armulyn the Bard, and the soft-shoe dancing Peet the Sock Man
  • fanciful creatures: sea dragons who sing by the light of moon, spine-tingling toothy cows, snarling horned hounds, and mischievous flabbits
  • and dazzling places: from Books & Crannies Bookstore and Anklejelly Manor, to Fingfap Falls, and across the Ice Prairies…not to mention the Dark Sea of Darkness.

Sensory descriptions and characters rich in heart, courage, and smarts make this a tale children of all ages will cherish, the whole family can read aloud, and book groups will surely discuss for its overarching theme of hope with layers of meaning about the life’s tangle of the beautiful and the horrible, the temporal and the eternal, and good and bad.

Andrew Peterson is a critically acclaimed singer-songwriter and recording artist best known for his Dove Award-winning songs of the year, “Nothing to Say” and “Family Man.” A natural-born storyteller (being a preacher’s kid from the south), he wrote and produced the popular Christmas song collection, Behold the Lamb of God. He has recorded seven albums and tours every year. Andrew and his wife, Jamie, are the parents of two sons and a daughter and live in Nashville, Tennessee. Andrew Peterson's Web site.

I urge any avid reader or non-reader to go out and purchase a copy of AP's new book and start on this journey that will take you to the very core of the human soul...and allow your imagination, fashioned with a childlike faith, to bring you to a place of heroic and adventurous bliss. You can now purchase your very own copy or copies by going here.

I've never given out a perfect 10 Turkey Legs before in my three years of blogging, but this deserves it plus gravy and cranberry sauce. Way to go Andy!!! Thank you for allowing me to escape into the world of Skree the past couple of weeks. In a time where we can get so trapped into our daily routine, I found myself looking forward to your wondrous storytelling everyday and leaving the busy world hushed behind. This is a book that I can't wait to read to my future children one day. You're gonna make me look like one cool dad...

On the Edge of the Dark Sea of Darkness (finished on 3/20) - 10 Turkey Legs

~KH

No comments: