Thursday, May 07, 2009

The One With Cholesterol...

I went in for my annual physical yesterday. Amanda and I promised one another that we would do this every year to make sure we're doing our part in staying alive for one another as long as we can. I know there are a bazillion other factors when it comes to good health and longevity, but we're trying to be responsible adults. Yeah, hard to imagine – at least from my half – the word adult associated with yours truly. It’s something I don't usually practice nor do I advertise too much. Moreover, I'm an aging 32-year-old Chinaman who grew up on rice. They say Asians typically live longer. I eat all that gross Asian food and then some, but some of it is actually quite healthy for you. During a stroll around our neighborhood last night, me and Amanda compared our dietary habits. It was friendly husband and wife banter – no gun slinging allowed. She loves herself some Dr. Pepper, French Fries, and potato chips. I like those, too, (sans Dr. Pepper) but I like some not-so-common foods also. Take Kimchi for example: It's sour, spicy, full of garlic flavor (and stank), and is basically rotten/preserved cabbage. A Korean lady told us that's it's one of the healthiest foods in the world. That tidbit of info was somewhat suspect and made a skeptic out of me, but according to this Web site, it's true. Amanda can't stand the smell, but if it aids in me being healthier, I suppose her complaint can’t be 100% warranted. And you can bet I’ll expose our future kids to this fine delicacy.

Not to be a walking advertisement for the fine folks at General Mills, but Honey Nut Cheerios really does help lower cholesterol. My level is the lowest it’s ever been since partaking in the activity of getting annual physicals (159 to be exact). My thanks also go out to
Mr. Quaker Oats Peaches and Cream Oatmeal and the new dark horse, Kimchi. However, it's "All (isn't) Quiet on the Western Front." My HDL (aka good cholesterol) is lower than it has been before. My theory consists of a couple of things. First, I’m just flat out not exercising enough. I’m not pedaling the bike as much as in the past, but it’s picking up again as the longer days are upon us. I’m not fatter according to the scale, but I have to get that HDL up by getting in more activity. Secondly, my cranberry juice intake has diminished in the past few months it seems. I used to drink a glass every night, but I started to fear the notion of calories before bedtime promoting weight gain, but then I also read that sleeping burns more calories than being fat on the couch. So the juicing at night will return - effective immediately - since it also raises HDL.

All this isn't to say that I'm Mr. Healthy or rubbing my cholesterol levels in your face. But I sorta am by putting it in front of you to read. It's more of me letting people know that health is somewhat in the forefront of my life. I eat unhealthy more often than not (Krystal, Chinese food, KFC, Papa John's, Wendy's - you name it, I'll eat it), but I do try to balance it out with good foods and exercise. Being married has given me a different perspective on life as far as taking care of myself from a health standpoint goes. We only have one life to mess up or take care of. Keeping your cholesterol in check is one of those teeter-totter things in life. It doesn't have to rule your world. Nor does it mean just eating celery and carrots any more. Next time you're shopping, check out
Buzz in the cereal aisle. And while you're there, pick yourself up some oatmeal since it's good for you, too. Or if you dare, give the Koreans a shout out and infuse some Kimchi into your diet. Hank out!

~KH

No comments: