Tuesday, May 02, 2006

The One With Central Park...

Two posts ago, I alluded to "summer blockbuster movies." The first one to grace our eyes this year will be "Mission: Impossible III." After that, there will be a slew of other monstrosities to shoot out of Hollywood. Seemingly enough, the onslaught of films will continue on a weekly basis until August as if we were caught in this CGI loop to which we easily enthrall ourselves into. The movie-going experience is one of life's finest pleasures. You sit there for two-hours on average; popcorn in hand and an ICEE to boot (if they only served Slurpees). My criteria for a pleasurable experience during the next few months at AMC will be easily met. Nobody in their right mind should expect anything more than eye candy in its purest form and subpar plots. You pretty much enter this cathedral of cheesy lines adorned with explosions and effects, which blare through the pricy surround sound speakers. But that's ok with me. For those couple of hours, I want to get my money's worth and be lost in the world of cinema magic. I expect to see some not-so-good flicks this summer, but I'll try my best to extract some kind of goodness out of them - no need to hate or discriminate.

The other eight months of the year, I tend to be a bit more picky about what movies I see. Aside from being entertained and feeling like I got my money's worth, the film must tug on the heartstrings a bit; giving me an emotion I can take away to somehow enhance my life. The films that leave me pondering or asking a multitude of scenario questions are equally good. But if I absolutely had to pick one over the other, I'd opt for the emotional variety. You see...the thing is, I have this soft spot for genuinely sweet and simplistic moments in movies. Unfortunately, they typically come in the form of romantic movies or dramas. This doesn't mix too well with the "manly persona" that I subconsciously indignify. It is with glee that I inform you that I am VERY secure with my testocerone levels, and me liking chic flicks or sappy/romantic interludes in movies is an incurable disease that was handed down by my mom's emotional and sensitive reserves. There's no shame here folks; just don't ask me to watch those female power-bonding flicks (i.e. Thelma and Louise) or drag me to a chic flick where the entire audience is weeping the entire time, thus causing me not to hear any of the lines that I can cry to later on in my lonesome (ok, not really, but it's plausible).

Back in December of '05, Peter Jackson's childhood dream of remaking King Kong became a reality when it hit the big screens. The previews looked absolutely stunning. I had never seen the black and white version; only the ghetto 70's version, which was entertaining at its time, I suppose. I went to this movie with my summer blockbuster expectations. I left very satisfied and am probably in somewhat of a minority when I say that this film was excellent. For the people that complained about its length, unnecessary/drawn out sequences, and overdone CGI: BOO!!!

The landscapes and scenery in this movie were nothing short of sublime. I was very glad that Mr. Jackson took the time to develop all of the characters, the storylines, and his uncanny ability to place humor in all of the right moments. All of these elements played a secondary role to the beautiful story and relationship between King Kong and Ann Darow - something that was lacking in the two previous versions. Kong was simply amazing. His emotions were clearly depicted in his body language and facial expressions...to the point where I felt my eyes start to develop that watery glaze. Just so you know, it's a healthy thing to cry once in a while. It doesn't have to be a "let's reduce Tallahassee's rain deficit" event, but it's been proven that crying releases toxins from your body and is often a great way to relieve stress. There is a multitude of emotions that cause tears (reference the book, Language of Tears - an excellent read). I think most of the time if I feel some tears coming on during a movie, it's due to a simplistic notion of a genuine and beautiful moment - or if it evokes some kind of memory of family or mom. I'll touch on this a bit more later. So, even though I left the movie very satisfied, there was no inkling to see it again in the immediate future. Enter the month of April '06...

I became a member of an online radio stream station last month. It was dirt cheap and I wanted to listen to soundtracks, jazz, classical, and instrumental stuff at work. I kept hearing this beautiful song being played on the soundtrack channel. It didn't occur to me until about a week after that it was from the King Kong soundtrack. Since four months had elapsed from when I first saw the movie, I didn't really remember the scene to which the song was for. The track title is "Central Park," (it's currently being played if your speakers are on) and it is aptly named for the scene where Kong and Ann are reunited in New York. The music starts as they meet on a street; after a moment of gazing into one another's eyes, Kong gently sweeps Ann off her feet and escapes through the quiet streets of NY as if he was back on Skull Island - it was the calm before the storm. He finds the tranquil setting of Central Park where he and Ann share one of the most beautiful moments I have ever seen in a movie. With the subtle and poignant flow of James Newton Howard's musical theme, Kong and Ann share their last happy moments together slipping and sliding on a frozen pond. The essence of this relationship was displayed so candidly as the two engaged in this beautiful and sweet setting. Beneath the complexities of Kong's anger and rage, lies a heart of gold. His loneliness and fear were rescued by a beautiful blonde who fought her way into his gentle soul. "It was beauty killed the beast." "And lo, the beast looked upon the face of beauty. And it stayed its hand from killing. And from that day, it was as one dead."

I suppose the reason I got a bit teary-eyed during this movie was the fact that I often feel alone and fear the world around me. A co-worker/friend and I recently talked about how over time, we've developed this liking of being alone and not investing all of ourselves in a widespread manner. She recently lost her sister and we were talking about how that affects a human soul. I think we both agreed that losing a loved one can ultimately change your outlook on life. It wasn't until I lost my mom where I became more of a recluse. I realized the importance of the relationships I had around me and wanted to really invest my time in them. In life, you go through some rough and hurting times. The Central Park scene will always be a part of me now because of a certain promise it offers me - how simple moments in life can be so wonderfully renewing for the spirit. I realized today as I gazed out over the tree line of Lake Monkey Business that I'm finally able to see down into this valley that I've been climbing the past few years. It was a time where I shared the same loneliness and fear Kong felt. And in the midst of my brokenness, my beautiful God met me face-to-face and wanted that reunion with me. He took my damaged soul and allowed the dance of time to heal it.

Today I cried as I talked and listened to God. Not because I was sad or lonely...but because it was the first time in a long time where I felt truly happy and God's joy in my life. It's been a long road. I persevered through some dark and gloomy times, and now my faith is all the more. As I lay down to rest, I will take Central Park with me - the music and the beautiful imagery of a relationship fulfilled...

For S. M. H.

~KH


No comments: